Saturday, December 17, 2011

Class Blog: December 14, 2011


My visit to the MET was amazing. One of my favorite galleries was Art in Renaissance Venice, 1400-1515 paintings and drawing. I was able to appreciate in person Giovanni Bellini's Madonna and Child. I have to admit that the impression that one gets is overwhelming when appreciating these paintings in person; a first experience for me and one that I will never forget.
I was equally impressed with the European Sculpture and decorative arts being able to appreciate this art form in the way they were meant to be looked at or appreciated was amazing, it complemented all we learned in class about the development of these art forms. The sculptures are simply breathtaking in all aspect but specially their presence, texture and how one can interact with the art form. Another gallery within the European Sculpture and Decorative arts that I truly enjoyed was the Greek and Roman art gallery. The collection is amazing and diverse with sculptures in marble, bronze, gold and limestone to mention a few. I was most impressed with the different texture that can only be truly appreciated when standing in front of the sculpture itself i.e. AIR - Limestone (as per the Met, probably French, Roven, Jean-Pierre DeFrance, 1694-1768) in its displayed form gives an impression of dry and opaque but overwhelmingly amazing. If compared with Andromeda and the Sea Monster - Marble (Domento Guidi, 1625-1701, Italian, Rome) in its displayed form comes out as smoother, less coerced and reflecting of light around it.
My favorite part of my trip to the Met I have to say was being able to appreciate the European sculptures, simply because the feel and experience of seeing this art face to face was totally unexpected! It’s an experience I will not forget. All I could think of while looking at the sculpture and their grandeur is how much dedication, passion and love the art must have been requested from the artist to achieve such master pieces, insanely amazing. I will sure return to the Mets again and again.
 
Regards,
Yaniris Cortez
 

No comments:

Post a Comment